POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: cpu speed & rendering time : Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time
From: David Fontaine
Date: 12 Jan 2001 22:11:52
Message: <3A5FC650.E20A9960@faricy.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Anyone know the difference between a:
>
> AMD Athlon
> Pentium III
> Intel Celeron
>
> for similar speed?

You have 'em in order. Any of the new AMDs should give POV a significant
boost over Intel for equivalent MHz, and those all come in the same
range (Athlon and PIII up to around 1.2GHz I believe). The Pentium IV
allows clock speeds much higher but actually does less per cycle IIRC,
so in the end a high-end PIV is probably slower rendering than a
high-end PIII. My advice, go for AMD. (And for equivalent MHz the mac
chips waste any of them, but they don't come nearly as fast in MHz; I'm
pretty sure the fastest PC chips still beat the fastest mac chips. But
macs don't count. ;)